Minions: salt “clients”, aka hosts / provision targets. (not to be confused with the salt command-line client
master: the salt server, drives the provisioning of minions. the
salt cli client runs on the master. The master is an ensemble of several services and worker processes.
- Publisher (port 4505): which minions must be able to access for pull-mode
- EventPublisher (IPC only):
- MWorker: one or more “master workers”, which handle salt operations concurrently
- ReqServer (port 4506): pop work and push to MWorker, plus receiving replies so MWorker doesn’t have to block
- File Server (?): transfers files to minions on demand from the state tree
Grains are basically facts in the ansible/puppet world.
Pillar is a global value/config storage, spelled out on the master. This is basically YAML which is laid out in folder hierarchies...
Continue reading →